Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Prescribers
Our nurse practitioners and nurse prescribers are highly skilled and qualified healthcare professionals who can prescribe independently. They can provide treatment and advice for many problems for which you may have traditionally seen a doctor in the past. Their main areas of expertise are the management of common\minor illnesses and minor injury.
They can assess and examine you, make a diagnosis and provide treatment and advice including a prescription if required. They can make referrals to most hospital doctors or other health care professionals, and admit patients to hospital when necessary. Although they are unable to sign sick certificate, they can make arrangements for one to be signed for you. They work closely with your GP and liaise frequently with them about your care.
If you have any of the following conditions (or need advice), please make an appointment to see the nurse practitioner or advanced nurse prescriber:
- Joint injuries and sprains
- Acute back pain
- Wounds, scalds, burns
- Skin rashes, impetigo, skin infections, scabies, threadworms
- Shingles, chicken pox etc.
- Emergency contraception
- Hay fever
- Haemorrhoids (piles)
- Blocked ears
- Mouth ulcers
- Itchy, discharging eyes, red/sore eyes, discharging eyes
- In growing toe nail
- Acute chest infection, asthma attack, breathing difficulties, shortness of breath
- Feeling unwell
- Diarrhoea and vomiting
- Urinary tract infections, Cystitis
- Cough, colds, flu, swollen glands, sore throat
- Raised temperature